Click2Cloud Inc. is a Microsoft gold partner and Red Hat ISV and connect Partner Company focussed to provide cross platform cloud solutions.
“Click2Cloud’s Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Extension” brings Docker and Kubernetes based containerized .Net application to OpenShift 3 Enterprise. Our DevOps solution, allows developers to build, manage and deploy containerized .Net and lot more other applications straight from Visual Studio IDE to Red Hat’s OpenShift 3 Enterprise Cloud Platform.
Our aim is to integrate Red Hat OpenShift with Microsoft Visual Studio so that developers can harness most of the functionalities of OpenShift within Visual Studio IDE.
This is pre-release version of OpenShift 3 Enterprise Tool for Visual Studio 2015. To participate in beta and use our development infrastructure, kindly register from http://register.click2cloud.net
Download from Visual studio gallery: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/9a5b8b19-dadf-4b46-8712-527303d32231
Check the GitHub repository: https://github.com/click2cloud/dotnetonopenshift3
Following are the software pre-requisite to install the ‘Click2Cloud OpenShift 3 Enterprise Tool for Visual Studio 2015’ tool and manage your application on OpenShift 3 Enterprise.
- Visual Studio 2015 Community or Visual Studio 2015 Professional or Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise
- GitHub Extension for Visual Studio
- Git for Windows
- OpenShift 3 (oc client) for Windows
OpenShift 3 All in one environment
- You can get the All-in-one-VM install for OpenShift 3 from https://www.openshift.org/vm/
This document provide user a step-by-step instructions to install and use the tool. It covers the following section;
- Pre-requisite Software to install the plugin
- Step-by-step details on installing GitHub Extension for Visual Studio 2015
- Guidelines to Install Git for Windows and OpenShift 3 OC CLI
- Procedure to download OpenShift Tool for Visual Studio 2015
- How to Install and Activate OpenShift Tool for Visual Studio
- Create Your First Application on OpenShift and Manging Projects
- Deploying Application Changes and Build
- Log Streaming and Stream Application Logs
- Stream Build Logs
- Open Terminals and Port-forwarding
The Getting started document is available on Click2Cloud website, and can be directly accessed from here: http://click2cloud.net/downloads/Click2Cloud_OpenShift3_Enterprise_VisualStudio2015_Tool_UserGuide_V1.0.pdf
Watch these videos to learn more:
Guideline to enable .NET in OpenShift 3 Environment
Once installed, system will display success message and you can access the Click2Cloud Extension from menus of Visual Studio Console.
Here are a few key features wish to highlight which will help to understand function and capabilities of this tool.
Login to OpenShift 3 using ‘Basic’ or ‘Oauth’ protocol
User can login to OpenShift from Visual studio Extension by providing his OpenShift username & password.
Create and Manage projects in OpenShift 3
Create new projects or access existing projects from Visual Studio menu.
Fig: 4 – Click2Cloud ‘New OpenShift Project Screen
Create new OpenShift application from image templates available in server
There are several application image templates available in the server e.g. asp.net (ver. 4.5, 5.0 etc.), or a combination of asp.net with My SQL, Mongo dB, PostgreSQL, PHP, Pearl and so on. User can use any of these to create application.
Create new OpenShift application from custom template
If user has any application image or image template in his local file system, he can use this by browsing the path to it. (ref. fig.4)
Open existing application from OpenShift 3 and load in Visual Studio 2015
User can open his existing application for further development from the ‘Open existing application’ tab from the menu.
View Webhook URL for newly created application or retrieve it for a running one – Git Webhook URL is used to configure automatic build deployment
On OpenShift explorer right click on ‘Build configs’ and click on ‘ Show Webhooks’. This will open a new dialog box with webhook URL. Copy this URL with adjacent tab to trigger a new build by sending a request to OpenShift API end point.
Fig: 7 – View Webhook URL
View Pod & build Logs from OpenShift Explorer
Pod logs and builds logs can viewed from Visual studio output window.
Start Build from OpenShift 3 Explorer
On OpenShift explorer , right click on ‘Build configs’ and select ‘start build’ to manually start a new build.
Enable HTTPs Protocol (SSL) for existing application
To configure SSL certificate, Go to services and right click to choose from options and click on Enable SSL. A new dialog box will appear with instructions.
Port Forwarding from OpenShift 3 Explorer
For port forwarding, go to pods and right click on running application to choose from options and select Port Forwarding. A new dialog box will appear with instructions.
Launch Terminal option from OpenShift 3 Explorer
To open command prompt, go to running pod and right click to choose from options, select Open Terminal to view
JSON Editor Integration with OpenShift 3 Explorer
To edit any JSON file expand the corresponding tab and right click on running application to select edit option.
- Auto refresh in OpenShift Explorer not working in few scenarios
- OpenShift Explorer design issue for different themes
- In some scenarios Live streaming of Build Logs is not working
Further More: At Click2Cloud, It has been a long journey towards integration of OpenShift with windows technologies or we can say to achieve harmony in heterogeneous environments. We are pleased to have same solutions for Red Hat OpenShift Origin 3 and cartridge based OpenShift version 2 and OpenShift online. In upcoming blogs we’ll have a deeper insight for above.
- For more details or for a supported version please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also available on these numbers: +1 (425) 749-7495 and +1 (425) 748-9666.
- Visit our website click2cloud.net to get insight of tools and FAQs
- Watch our YouTube Playlist to see how easy it is to develop and deploy application on OpenShift 3 using Click2Cloud’s OpenShift 3 Enterprise Tool for Visual Studio 2015
VP, Click2cloud Inc.